Al Bidda Park is located at the historical heart of Doha and was first documented in 1681. Al Bidda area existed before Doha developed and included a rectangular fort, houses, and industry associated with trading and pearl diving. Much of the local housing for the pearl divers were located in the Al Rumailah area which now sits at the heart of Al Bidda Park.
Geographically, Al Bidda Park sits at the center of a sweeping bay. Offshore reefs protect the natural harbor from storms. The land rises to the rear and at its height, there are outcrops of sandy-colored Dolomitic Limestone. The strategic elevated position, as well as easy access to the shoreline for pearl fishing and trading, was the likely reason why the first settlement was founded at this location.
Al Bidda and Doha rose together in prominence as a major trading ports on the peninsula. By the middle of the Twentieth Century Doha took over in prominence and this allowed for redevelopment in the Al Rumailah area for a new park and Qatar’s National Theatre.
Al Bidda Park is comprised of three separate park areas. These are Al Bidda, Arumailah and Wadi Al Sail. The total size of Al Bidda Park is almost 1,745,000 square meters. There are over 514,000 square meters of lawns in Al Bidda Park. The park contains a total of 8 playgrounds. There are 6 outdoor equipped exercise areas running alongside a rubberized fitness trail.