Waste generated at the FIFA World Cup venues has been recycled or converted into green energy
31 Dec 2022News
A total of 2,173 tonnes of wastes were collected from stadiums during the tournament from November 20 to December 18, 2022. All the waste generated at the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 venues has been either recycled or converted into green energy. A total of 28 percent of wastes generated at the World Cup venues was converted into green energy, producing 558,340 kWh throughout the tournament. The remaining 72 percent waste was recycled resulting in production of 797 tonnes fertilizers, 202 tonnes plastic, 65 tonnes papers and cardboards, 60 tonnes metals and four tonnes’ glasses.
Director of the Waste Recycling and Treatment Department at the Ministry of Municipality, Eng Hamad Jassim Al Bahr, in a statement, said that the tournament provided to local recycling factories with 1,129 tonnes of basic raw materials to produce paper, cardboard, plastic, metal and glasses.
He said that the recycling rate of waste amounted to 72 percent and the remaining 28 percent was converted into clean energy.
He said that the Waste Recycling and Treatment Department, through recycling waste generated from stadiums and fan zones, succeeded in producing about 797 tonnes of fertilizers, 202 tonnes of plastic materials, 65 tonnes of paper and cardboard, 60 tonnes of minerals and four tonnes of glasses.
He said a total of 2,173 tonnes wastes were collected from stadiums during the World Cup.
Al Bahr said the General Cleanliness Department collected about 54,865 tonnes during the tournament from November 20 to December 18, 2022.
He said that 12,230 workers and supervisors participated in collecting and removing waste with the support of 1,627 trucks and cleaning equipment.
Domestic Solid Waste Management Centre in Mesaieed, the largest in the Middle East, provides environmental solutions to ensure sustainability. The centre also handles all waste transported from waste transfer stations.
The centre treats wastes and produces clean energy, green and organic fertilizer and sorts recyclable materials. The total capacity of the centre is 2,300 tonnes of waste per day.